Dispatch from Injury Recoveryland

I haven't been talking about it much, but I've been dealing with an injury from my competitive match with Hanz. Let me tell you, straining your lats is really painful and unpleasant! And takes a while to heal! Ugh. Anyway, while I'm recovering I've been keeping my wrestling momentum up through a few other activities.

Doom Maidens day of 3 exciting fights:
Last Monday I had the pleasure of watching 3 exciting Doom Maidens matches. They were Sweetie Dreams vs. Lana Luxor (highly competitive)
Lana Luxor vs. Taylor (uneven and a little cringey to watch)
Queen Beth vs. Taylor (so intense and fun to watch Queen Beth for the first time)


You can check out some photos from the matches as well as my commentary over on my twitter (May 28th). 
Watching Sweetie vs. Lana it was really clear to see how far extra mat time and training takes a person. I know it seems obvious, but in action, it's really cool to see. Sweetie has been training sporadically for the last 2 years or so, and Lana has only been fighting for about a year. Last time I saw the two of them, they were pretty well matched. 


A few months ago, Lana started training at a Renzo Gracie academy and has made huge improvements in both strength and technique. It was still a very competitive fight and neither opponent made it easy on each other, but it was also obvious to see where Lana's training gave her an edge. Very inspiring, indeed.
The benefit of extra training was once again demonstrated in the Taylor vs. Queen Beth match. Both competitors are fitness buffs and pretty much the same height and weight. Both have energy for days and are indefatigable! And yet, once they got going, Queen Beth's training immediately showed off. Anyway, like I said, it sounds obvious, but knowing a thing and seeing it so obviously demonstrated are two different things. Even though they were mismatched, the intensity of this match was so high. Taylor just kept coming back for more. It was quite a thing to watch!

Podcast and planning/plotting
Last night Veve Lane, Hanz Vanderkill and I did a podcast about wrestling! It was so fun! I love talking about wrestling and my journey to and through it! We covered so much ground, in part, taking a cue from my first blog entry and talking about beginnings. We also talked about how wrestling can be great for body image and I got a little philosophical about the lessons wrestling can teach you about tolerating discomfort. 

You should probably just go listen to the whole thing, because we're incredibly charming, entertaining, and delightful! Here's one of Diablo's photos of our set-up in Veve and Diablo's mat room. We'll be releasing the video as well as audio only (which will have some of the more risque parts that have been censored from the video version). 
Well, one thing I realized is that I have So Many Ideas for videos and need to get a little more intentional about actually making them happen!

I want to start getting a little more creative with my videos. So far, I've done competitive wrestling, wrestle-domination, instructional, and one-move vids (bearhug, face sitting, arm wrestling, scissoring, etc.). I'd really like to get into more plot/role play vids. I'm thinking superheroes, assassin battles, mom-domme, 50s housewife, and more! I'd also love to do some sort of "high fantasy" scene where I get to be a queen or priestess/warrior and have an ungrateful supplicant that I can put in his place. Sounds fun, right? If you're interested in making any of these (or other) videos happen before others, feel free to order a custom through Doom Maidens here!

Comments

Popular Posts